I spent so much time (before going vegan) researching and baking my life away, in order to create the PERFECT, chewy, crispy, chocolatey, buttery, chocolate chip cookie recipe. Soon after creating one I was satisfied with, I went Vegan. So with no eggs, no butter, and no milk chocolate… I thought I’d have to say goodbye to one of my favorite treats.
Boy, was I wrong! By using a few substitutions, I was able to create these!
This recipe tastes SO similar to the one I created using animal products. With some good quality chocolate and a bit of love and patience, you’d be able to fool even your meatiest meat eating anti-vegan enemies! And friends. Haha, here is the recipe!
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, softened or at room temp.
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Apple Sauce or Soy Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ cup AP flour
- ¾ cups chopped vegan chocolate bars or vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*, and prep a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or lightly greased foil.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and smooth. BUT NOT TOO LONG OR IT WILL BE RUNNY!! About 20 seconds on medium should do the trick!
- Add applesauce, oil, and vanilla, and mix for 10 seconds, just to combine
- Add dry ingredients all at once and mix until almost fully combined. Once you have just a few spots of flour left, stop mixing.
- Dump in as much chocolate as you have left over after snack-rificing**, and mix just until the flour disappears.... About 15 seconds.
- Chill dough if desired....but really, who are we kidding….?
- Scoop heaping 1 tsp sized balls of dough onto your cookie sheets. If you want them to be thicker, don’t push them down.
- *You can make them larger if you want! Baking time will increase.*
- Bake for 9 minutes for soft/chewy cookies, or 11 minutes for crispy/chewy cookies.
- Store leftovers *WHAT ARE THOOOOSE?!* in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- **Snack-rificing: VERB:
- When you exchange your waistline for any high-caloric noshery.
- When you decide that you would rather eat random, unhealthy things until you are full instead of adult-ing and cooking a meal for yourself.